Gayndah

Gayndah Station is located 125.700 kilometres from Mungar Junction and is 110 metres above sea level.

Gayndah a former watering station in the days of steam locomotives. Station Staff at Gayndah comprised of 1 Station Master, 2 Assistant Station Masters and numerous Porters.

A C17 Class steam locomotive departs Gayndah with a Monto Goods in 1966. Photo courtesy Weston Langford.
A C17 Class steam locomotive departs Gayndah with a Monto Goods in 1966. Photo courtesy Weston Langford.

 

C17 985 stands at Gayndah with a Maryborough Goods in 1965. Photo courtesy Weston Langford.
C17 985 stands at Gayndah with a Maryborough Goods in 1965. Photo courtesy Weston Langford.

Four sets of running men known as (Drivers, Fireman and Guards) were based at Gayndah for the daily working of trains to Monto and Maryborough.

Permanent Way Inspector and Bridge Inspector were also based in Gayndah. A station building, goods and cream sheds, tea room for serving of tea and coffee, and quarters for visiting running men from Maryborough and Monto depots.

An angle for turning of locomotives was available, water tank for steam locomotives, cattle yards for loading of cattle, pigs and sheep for transporting livestock by rail, weighbridge and an ash pit (in the days of steam) made up the Gayndah Station complex. Gayndah had a crossing capacity of 72 units.

Gayndah Railway Station in the 1980s.
Gayndah Railway Station in the 1980s.
Gayndah Railway Station in the 1980's.
Gayndah Railway Station in the 1980’s.
Gayndah Quarters used by Maryborough and Monto running men in October 1990. Photo courtesy Jason Cooper.
Gayndah Quarters used by Maryborough and Monto running men in October 1990. Photo courtesy Jason Cooper.
Diesel 1723 stands in the Back Road at Gayndah with a loaded ballast train in November 1990. Photo by Jason Cooper.
Diesel 1723 stands in the Back Road at Gayndah with a loaded ballast train in November 1990. Photo by Jason Cooper.